Recovery from a stroke is ongoing. The goal of outpatient rehabilitation is to help me to be independent and participate in meaningful activities when I am back living in the community.
What will happen?
- I will attend an outpatient program on average 2-3 times per week.
- I will participate in therapy as much as possible.
- I will learn how to continue to manage my health and well-being.
- I will learn how to find resources in the community to support my interests.
- I may be assessed for my ability to return to driving or return to work when appropriate.
- It is helpful to have a family or friend (if available) to support me.
Who will I see?
- Physiatrist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech-language pathologist, registered dietitian, social worker, etc.
- How long will I stay?
- Soon after I start therapy, the care team will inform me how long I will attend outpatient rehabilitation.
- The length of time will depend on my rehabilitation needs/goals