How to plan for your return to work
How do I know if I am ready to return to work?
Your readiness depends on:
- How you feel
- How the stroke has affected you
- The type of work you do
Give your body enough time to heal.
When you feel ready, talk to your healthcare team about going back to work. Together you can decide if you are ready to go back to work. They can also help talk to your workplace about what supports you need to return.
Your employer is responsible for making reasonable accommodations to help you, if you are returning back to the same job.
What might I need to change when I return to work?
This depends on how the stroke has affected you. You may need to:
- Learn how to do things with 1 hand
- Work while sitting instead of standing
- Change the hours you work
- Adjust the type of work you were doing before
Your healthcare team and employer can work with you to come up with a plan.
How do I know if I am ready and able to return to work?
The Southwestern Ontario Stroke Network has created a tool kit that supports stroke survivors to return to work. The Return to Work Tool Kit includes a self-assessment guide and information on available resources.
Which members of my healthcare team can help me plan for my return to work?
Members of your healthcare team can help plan for your return to work include:
- Social Worker. They can help you find community resources and supports related to money and work.
- Occupational Therapist. They can help you improve your memory, planning, organizing and fine motor skills. They help you figure out if any changes need to be made to your work space for a safe return to work.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Therapist. They help train you with new skills or trades to help you find new paid jobs.
- Doctor. They can help guide you on how to stay safe when returning to work.
What if I cannot return to the same type of work?
Your healthcare team can help you think about different work options. Programs are available to help you gain new skills, training and find work.
Explore each website below to learn more: