Planning for a trip
Everyone needs a holiday! It is good for your mind and body to rest and relax!
Your doctor will let you know if it is safe for you to travel. Your healthcare team can also give you some tips to make travelling easier.
What do I need to know for traveling after stroke?
Here are some tips for considering an accessible place to stay:
- Accessible bathroom. They offer grab-bars and toilet seats.
- Elevator. If there is no elevator, ask for a room on the ground floor.
- Restaurants nearby. Stay in places that are close to things to do.
- See online photos of the hotel. This helps you decide what you will need to bring.
- Call and ask questions before you book your room.
You may consider:
- Taking your own chair. Bring a folding cane-seat or a rollator if you can only walk short distances. Chairs or benches may not always be available when you need to take a break.
- Renting a wheelchair or scooter. If you need to travel a long way.
What are some tips for riding on an airplane?
- Choose a non-stop flight. If you have to make a connection, try to get more time between flights. Call the airport to find out how far you need to go to get the connecting flight.
- Choose an aisle seat. This helps to give you a bit more room.
- Use a carry-on. Use a shoulder bag or back pack. Pack it with basic toiletries, medications, and travel information.
- Wear shoes that are easy to take on and off. This makes security checks easier.
- Travel with a friend. It helps to travel with someone who can help you.
Here are some tips at the airport:
- Check-in as much luggage as you can. This means less to carry.
- Give yourself extra time.
- Use early boarding. Flight attendants can help you board the plane if you are using a cane or wheelchair.
- Use an airport rental cart. It is often easier to push one cart than manage many bags.
Tips for travelling with aphasia:
Write down all your travel information. If you have aphasia you can show the airline personnel or the taxi driver the information, so they know how to direct you. Have all important addresses and phone numbers in your notebook.