I love being outdoors. What can I do to stay safe outside?
To make the outing safer, here are some things to plan ahead for:
- Uneven surfaces including curbs
- Crowded places
- Time needed to cross the street
- How far you need to go
- Wear non-slip low heeled shoes
- Let someone know where you are going
- Bring a mobile phone with you in case you get stuck
Try these tips to build up your confidence:
- Walk with someone at first to get used to being outside
- Work towards a goal
- Pace yourself. Start with small, easy steps and shorter distances. Challenge yourself little by little to do more.
- Plan ahead for places to sit and rest
- Avoid busy areas if you do not feel ready
- Avoid going outdoors during bad weather. Walk indoors in a mall instead.
If you cannot walk outside, try using a transport chair. It is a light, foldable wheelchair. It is easier to load into a car than a normal wheelchair.
Transport chairs do not have a special cushion or backrest. But, it is okay to use these for a short time.
Watch a video example of how to get in and out of the car safely:
Watch a video example of how to load a wheelchair into the care safely:
Watch a video about how to move a wheelchair up and down curbs:
Watch a video about exercise and mobility after stroke: